Monday, May 12, 2014

The I Do's of Bridal Hair

Hello Readers,

Wedding season is in full swing. The venue has been booked, you've approved the playlist with the DJ, flowers have been arranged, and the dress has been fitted... But have you met with your hairstylist and/or makeup artist? I think it is always super important for a bride to meet with her hairstylist at least one time before the wedding if not more. Here are a few things that I always go over with my brides!

1. How many girls are in the Bridal Party?

I like to ask this for time purposes and want to time everything just right! I need to know how many bridesmaids, MOB, MOG, or flower girls I will being doing hair for. Especially when it comes to a Southern Belle... Along with big hair they like big bridal parties. As a hairstylist one of the things I hate the most is making others late because I am running behind! I value your time and want to keep things running as smoothly as possible for you!

2. Have a practice run!

You should have at least one practice run with your hairstylist! I specialize in updos... It's one of my absolute favorite things to do! Therefore, people I don't know/never met call me and ask me to do their wedding hair. And because of that I always recommend a practice run. Bring pictures of what you like and what you don't like. And I always think its a GREAT idea to do a practice run with your hairstylist the same day you have a dress fitting so they you can see everything together!

3. Hair pieces.

If you plan on wearing some kind of hair piece whether it's a veil, hair broach, headband or flower piece, then let me know and bring it to your practice run. I will build an updo differently if i know that there is some kind of hair piece to go in.


4. Too Shampoo or Not to Shampoo...

The question I get the most is "do I shampoo my hair the morning of the wedding or not"? The answer is based on two things. How oily you hair is and your hairstylist's preference. I prefer that the hair not be shampooed the morning of because it typically won't hold as well. I prefer she does it the night before the wedding so that it looks clean but isn't too clean for me to work with. But if the bride has oily hair and wants to shampoo the morning of then I just ask that she lets me know so that I can bring the proper product! One of my favorite products to use in that instance is Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray! It adds a little bit of texture to hair for me to work with and it also adds some amazing volume to the hair as well!

5. Bridesmaid hair doesn't technically have to match!

Brides ask me if they should make everyones hair match... And it really comes down to what you want! If you want everyone's hair to match then ok. But you have to remember that not everyone in your bridal party will have the same texture or length of hair so it's hard to make everyone's hair look the EXACT same! I recommend that you pick two or three hairstyles for your bridesmaids to choose from and go from there. On the other side of the spectrum I have had the bride that says her bridesmaids can do whatever they want with their hair.... If that's what you want than GREAT! But I will say this... You need to decide what you want to do with your hair and tell them they can do anything but that. It's your special day and you need to be the one that looks different and stands out!










No comments:

Post a Comment