Saturday, March 22, 2014

Dream On.

Hello Readers,
Today's post will NOT be about hair or makeup, but about following your dreams. I know.... I am fixing to get cheesy on you, but for a good reason! A lot of my clients (usually in the first few visits) ask me if I always wanted to be a hairstylist. So here's my story I always tell them...

In the back of my mind I have always wanted to do hair! I remember when I was little helping my little sister with her hair before she went to her church group or playing with makeup (most of the time that's when I played pranks on her). So fast forward to my senior year of high school. The oh so crucial time in your life where you start to make serious decisions that could change the course of your life. I mentioned to one of my teachers in school that I thought I wanted to go to cosmetology school. She basically told me that wasn't a good idea because I wasn't really a people person and I would never be able to make a career out of it. 

PAUSE. 

For those of you who didn't know me then... In high school I was a very very different person. I cared wayyyy too much of what people thought of me. Didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and felt very alone. I also was not confident in who I was was. I struggled with a lot of this stuff my senior year especially. Now... I could care less what people think about me because I like who I am as a person. I am much more confident and feel at ease when I walk in the salon. 

PLAY. 

So when my teacher told me it wasn't a good idea, so I just decided that she was probably right and to move on to the next thing. So I was enrolled at NWACC and about a week before my first tuition payment was due I told my parents that I didn't want to do that... I wanted to go to cosmetology school. So I toured Paul Mitchell the School and I can't even describe to you how at home I felt. I knew immediately that was where I was supposed to be. So after some consideration, I started my journey to becoming a cosmetologist. 

After I graduated, there was this amazing salon that I was dead set on working at... Whether it was right then or later on down the road. I interviewed right out of school there, but they unfortunately didn't have any openings. I then started working elsewhere, but every so often I would check in to see if there any openings. There weren't so I went on about my business, but still determined to be there one day. I worked hard every day and continued building my business and trying to prove that teacher wrong! And  about two and half years later... Guess what?!? That dream salon I was telling you about... called ME! Yes, my DREAM salon called ME! And so many amazing things are continuing to happen in my career and I can't even begin to express how blessed and thankful I feel! I have amazing clients and such a supportive family! They are constantly pushing me to become a better person and stylist!

I have not told you all this to brag on myself by any means! I am telling you this to get this message across to anybody who needs to hear it! There will always be that one "teacher" who tells you that you aren't good enough, and you need to prove them wrong. Don't give up on your dreams. Don't let anyone talk you out of them. Don't let anyone tell you aren't good enough. I almost did. And I cannot even begin to fathom where I would be right now if I had listened to that one person who told me I could't because I wasn't "a people person".

"All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney






No comments:

Post a Comment